The Hôtel de la Marine is one of two buildings in the monumental complex that closes the Place de la Concorde in Paris to the north. Created in the 18th century by the architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel, it housed the Crown Furniture warehouse from 1767. When, at the beginning of the Revolution, King Louis XVI left Versailles for Paris, the Ministery of the Navy moved into the building.
It is the beginning of two centuries of presence of this administration in this palace that will now be called the Hotel de la Marine. In 2015, the Naval Staff left the building, which then entered a long and thorough restoration.
On the proposal of the ad hoc committee chaired by former President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, the President of the Republic Nicolas Sarkozy decided to symbolically install the Académie de Marine in the Hotel de la Marine in order to represent the entire maritime community in this prestigious place. It has been done since the summer of 2021.